The Extensive Reading Foundation (ERF) is pleased to announce its scholarship program for the Sixth World Congress on Extensive Reading, to be held 8-11 August 2023 in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia at the Aston Denpasar Hotel & Convention Center.
Objectives of the ERF Scholarship Program
The mission of the Extensive Reading Foundation is to promote the “extensive reading approach” worldwide, as an extremely effective means of learning a language. To this end, we invite teachers and scholars who might not be able to attend the World Congress due to financial constraints, to apply for a scholarship in order to take part in the event for their own professional development and for the future promotion of Extensive Reading in their home countries.
Scholarships will provide transportation (capped at $1,000 USD), lodging for 5 nights, a small per diem, and a fee waiver for the conference. Applications are welcome from anyone conforming to the following criteria.
A record of involvement with Extensive Reading
- Actively using an Extensive Reading or Extensive Listening approach in the classroom; OR
- Having a record of presentations or research publications concerning Extensive Reading; OR
- Having contributed to the Extensive Reading Foundation’s activities, for example, through activity in the local ERF affiliate or the translation of the ERF Guide into your native language
Residence: Anyone residing in a country that is not on the World Bank’s list of “High-Income Economies“ is eligible. (see list below).
Finances: Those who cannot afford to attend the Congress without financial aid (self-declared).
Willingness to participate in one of several planned panel discussions concerning the problems and successes of extensive reading/listening in your teaching/learning environment. There is no requirement to have a paper accepted. Scholarship holders are expected to be present for the three main days of the Congress (8-10 August) and may be required to attend various functions.
Previous recipients of World Congress Scholarships are not eligible.
Typically these grants are issued to practicing teachers or teachers in training. Students may apply but are much less likely to get a grant unless they have extensive experience with ER/EL or have done high-level academic research in this area.
Deadline for submissions: All documents including the recommendation must be submitted by midnight, 31 March 2023, Bali Time (UTC/GMT +8 hours).
Notification of results: 30 April 2023
As a spam prevention measure, we ask you to do the following:
Prepare all of the required documents then go to this link, which is a Google form: https://tinyurl.com/erwc6-scholar-application
You will find links there for you to upload your CV, your statement of purpose, and your travel cost estimate. Make sure that your name is part of each file name and that your name appears at the top of each document that you upload.
The following documents must be submitted in English. All documents should be in either .doc, .docx, or .pdf format with the file names specified below.
1) A current CV listing educational background, employment history, and any publications and presentations.Your CV file should be named “<Date>-CV-<your official name>” (Surname_Given names). Example: 03Dec-CV-Batista-Martinez_
2) A “Statement of Purpose” (400-600 words) outlining: a) how you have attempted to apply ER/EL to your classes or school, b) what problems you see in expanding the use of ER/EL in your own teaching/learning environment as well as in your country as a whole, and c) which are your focused area(s) of interest, target or objectives, and goals or outcomes. Use “<Date>-Statement-<your official name>” (Surname_Given names) as the file name. Example: 03Dec-Statement-Batista-
3) One recommendation letter from a current or previous supervisor (in academics or employment, but not a colleague). This document should be submitted on this Google doc page: https://tinyurl.com/erwc6-recommendation. Please request the recommender to place the following in the subject line: “<Date>-Recommendation for-<your full official name>” (Surname_Given names). Example: 21Dec-Recommendation for-Batista-Martinez_Maria. Your recommender will be asked to fill in your email address. It must be the same address that you use for all other aspects of conference participation. You might consider supplying the recommender with your “statement of purpose” so that s/he will understand better what kind of information is relevant to our decision process.
4) An estimate of the total cost of transportation from the airport nearest your home to Denpasar, Indonesia (DPS). Your cost estimate file should be named “<Date>-Transportation-<your official name>” (Surname_Given names). Example: 03Dec-Transportation-Batista-
How your submission will be judged:
Each submission will be evaluated by three teachers with wide experience in Extensive Reading. They will rate each proposal by the candidate’s experience, enthusiasm, and professionalism, as well as the potential of the candidate to help spread the word about the “Extensive Reading Approach” in his/her home country.
Applications are not accepted from residents of Andorra, Australia, Austria, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Hong Kong SAR China, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Japan, S. Korea, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macao SAR China, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Qatar, Portugal, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan*, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States. *Not a World Bank member economy, so added based on other indicators. “High-Income Economies” determined in accordance with data from The World Bank—countries with a GNI (Gross National Income) of $15,000 (USD) or greater.